It’s hard to believe, but…
Ten years ago…
- The first video was uploaded to YouTube.
- Facebook, then just a year old, dropped “the” from its old URL “thefacebook.com” after acquiring “facebook.com” for $200K.
- An early prototype of an autonomous vehicle (a car) completed the DARPA Grand Challenge for the first time.
- The term “Drone” meant a military weapon system.
- Bitcoin and blockchain technology didn’t exist, and wouldn’t be created for three more years.
- Android was a small startup that Google had just acquired.
- There were 6.4 billion humans on Earth, only ~1 billion were online, and none of them had heard of Uber or AirBnb.
- YouTube has more than a billion users, who watch hundreds of millions of hours of video every day. Three hundred hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- Facebook has 1.4 billion users from every country on Earth.
- Every major car manufacturer is working on an autonomous model, and Google’s autonomous cars have logged over 1 million miles driving themselves.
- Drones are now used by children, can be purchased at prices ranging from $50 to $1,500. The largest consumer drone company DJI (which was started in 2006) is valued at $10 billion.
- Bitcoin and blockchain companies have raised hundreds of millions in venture capital and are poised to be potentially as disruptive as the Internet itself (see below).
- Google now has over 1 billion active Android users.
- Today, there are close to 7.4 billion humans on Earth, and ~3 billion are now online.
- Uber, which was started in 2009, is valued at over $40 billion, and AirBnb, started in 2007, valued over $20 billion.
These are only a few of the fun examples of exponential change from the last decade.
The question is: what will the world look like a decade from now?
In a few days, I will be releasing an article I wrote for the Huffington Post’s 10-year anniversary.
It contains a few of my predictions for the next 10 years, and an explanation as to why I believe we are living in the most exciting time ever.
This is the sort of content and conversations we discuss at my 250-person executive mastermind group called Abundance 360. The program is highly selective and has ~90% of the spots filled. You can apply here.
WHAT IS ABUNDANCE INSIDER?
This email is a briefing of the week's most compelling, abundance-enabling tech developments, curated by Marissa Brassfield in preparation for Abundance 360. Read more about A360 below.
WANT MORE CONVERSATIONS LIKE THIS? - JOIN ME
At Abundance 360, Peter's 360-person executive mastermind, we teach the metatrends, implications and unfair advantages for entrepreneurs enabled by breakthroughs like those featured above. We're looking for CEOs and entrepreneurs who want to change the world. The program is highly selective. Apply now for Abundance360 Summit if you'd like to develop an Abundance Mindset.
Know someone who would benefit from getting Abundance Insider? Send them to this link to sign up.