At Human Longevity Inc. (HLI), our goal is to extend the healthy human lifespan and to revolutionize healthcare.
You've often heard me speak about how converging exponential technologies have the potential to disrupt industries. This is a blog providing a detailed overview of the road map for reinventing medicine and extending your "healthy, high-performance" lifespan.
I also want to invite you to join me and Brad Perkins, MD, HLI's Chief Medical Officer, for a webinar discussing the transformation of healthcare.
I believe we have a chance to make 100 years old the new 60… for you, your family, friends and colleagues.
Info on the webinar is here.
What is HLI?
Two years ago, J. Craig Venter, Ph.D., Bob Hariri, M.D., Ph.D, and I came together with the vision of reinventing healthcare.
Today, healthcare is reactive and retrospective. Today's system is really more like "sick care" than anything else.
If you are between the ages of 50 and 74, your mortality rates are 30 percent for a man and 20 percent for women.
HLI's goal is to make healthcare proactive, preventative, and personalized – predicting what disease you are likely to develop, and helping you prevent it in the first place.
HLI capabilities are only possible now because of a number of converging exponential technologies: rapid, accurate whole genome sequencing (which has plummeted in cost five times faster than Moore's Law); Machine Learning; massive data transmission and storage; and new imaging technologies (or capabilities).
Introducing the Health Nucleus
The Health Nucleus is HLI's clinical research program based at the company's headquarters in La Jolla, CA.
It's where we collect 150 gigabytes of data about you during an 8-hour day gathered through a series of tests and measurements designed to deliver the most complete picture of your health.
At HLI's Heath Nucleus, we'll collect the following info about you:
- Whole Genome Sequencing: We sequence all 3.2 billion letters in your genome, and we repeat it 30 times to minimize error rate (~113 gigabytes of data). HLI then puts together an integrated report, processed by our machine learning team in combination with our expert team of clinical geneticists, genetic counselors and scientists.
- Microbiome: We next sequence the trillions of bacteria that live in your body, called your microbiome. Your microbiome plays a vital role in your immune system and how you digest and absorb foods and medicines.
- Metabalome: We next measure the small chemical end products of the biochemical reactions (about 960+ different molecules) that give a direct functional readout of your physiological state.
- Full-body MRI: Next, we take a high-resolution full-body MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan, able to detect cancer at its early stages. The comprehensive imaging also includes quantitative neurological segmentation to assess evidence of neurodegenerative conditions.
- DEXA: a non-invasive imaging test that measures bone density, muscle mass and percentage of body fat. DXA allows us to assess bone loss (osteoporosis), fracture risk, and provide additional insights into body composition.
- Gait & Balance Testing: We quantitatively measure your gait and balance as a means to evaluate your physical and neurocognitive function.
- 4D Echocardiogram: We leverage both 3D and 4D echo imaging to gain insights into your heart structure and function -- valves, heart muscle and blood flow.
- Echocardiogram & Arrhythmia Monitoring: As part of your Health Nucleus 'intake' we'll collected electrocardiogram (ECG) measurements over a number of days, looking to measure the health and function of your heart, looking for a variety of inherited arrhythmia disorders.
- Sleep Apnea Testing: The Health Nucleus will provide an 'at-home' sleep monitoring system. Sleep apnea, a very underdiagnosed condition, is associated with obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and an increased risk of stroke.
And more… believe it or not, the list is growing every day as we continue to add new tests and technologies.
What We've Learned So Far
After collecting ~150 gigabytes of data about you, we upload that data to our machine learning platform.
The goal of analyzing your health data is two-fold:
- To analyze and report on your current state of health.
- To make predictions on your future health condition, and ultimately give you a "longevity road map."
So far, the results have been spectacular...
From our first 200 Health Nucleus clients, we've discovered 30 percent have actionable discoveries with immediate clinical impact, or that identify a need for closer ongoing clinical surveillance. The Health Nucleus partners with your physician to develop a personalized health plan.
I have personally received several "thank you for saving my life" messages.
While HLI's Health Nucleus is not for everyone, and our capacity is limited, if you are interested in participating, the benefits are numerous.
Also read: TOP 50 MOON SHOTS (2000 - 2020)
Want to Learn More? Join Me & Our Chief Medical Officer
If you'd like to learn more, please join me in an informational webinar I'm holding with our Chief Medical Officer Dr. Brad Perkins.
You can register to participate and listen in to the webinar here.
I invite you to take a look at the future of healthcare and how you might be able to significantly impact your life expectancy.
There has never been a more exciting time to be alive (and stay alive).
WHAT IS ABUNDANCE INSIDER?
This email is a briefing of the week's most compelling, abundance-enabling tech developments, curated by Marissa Brassfield in preparation for Abundance 360. Read more about A360 below.
WANT MORE CONVERSATIONS LIKE THIS? - JOIN ME
At Abundance 360, Peter's 360-person executive mastermind, we teach the metatrends, implications and unfair advantages for entrepreneurs enabled by breakthroughs like those featured above. We're looking for CEOs and entrepreneurs who want to change the world. The program is highly selective. Apply now for Abundance360 Summit if you'd like to develop an Abundance mindset.
Know someone who would benefit from getting Abundance Insider? Send them to this link to sign up.