4 min read
6 Benefits of a Moonshot Mindset
Jun 27, 2021
What if you could achieve 10X growth while your competitors only achieve 10%?
That’s what a Moonshot is: going 10X bigger or better when everyone else is pursuing incremental change.
Most companies ask questions such as, “How do we reduce costs by 10%?” or “How can we increase profits by 10%?”
Having a Moonshot Mindset means applying 10X thinking (or 1,000%) to all your efforts and challenges.
It’s one of the critical mindsets enabled by exponential technologies that any exponential entrepreneur or leader needs to succeed in the decade ahead.
In this blog, I’m going to discuss what a Moonshot Mindset is and the benefits of having one.
Let’s dive in…
P.S. Send any tips to our team by clicking here, and send your friends and family to this link to subscribe to Abundance Insider.
WHY SHOULD YOU AIM FOR 10X GROWTH INSTEAD OF 10%?
I’ll give you three reasons:
As my friend Astro Teller, Alphabet’s “Captain of Moonshots” says, when you try to do 10% better, you’re putting yourself in direct competition with everyone else in your industry. And it’s a competition that you’re likely to lose.
When you shoot for 10X improvement and try to do something radically hard, you approach the problem you’re solving in a completely different way.
When you attack a problem (any problem) as though it were solvable, even if you don’t know how to solve it, you’ll be shocked at what you come up with.
In our world, change is the only constant, and the rate of change is increasing.
As a result, you either disrupt yourself, or someone else will.
6 BENEFITS OF A MOONSHOT MINDSET
- You understand “the day before something is a breakthrough, it’s a crazy idea.” With a Moonshot Mindset, you have permission to pursue your crazy ideas.
- You are willing to take the risks necessary to transform industries and society for the better. You recognize that those with a Moonshot Mindset are the innovators making the world a better place, moving humanity forward, and charting the future.
- You understand that a Moonshot within the realm of your Massively Transformative Purpose (MTP) can be the adventure of a lifetime, giving you joy and fulfillment, and providing you with purpose.
- You are willing to aim at billion-person challenges. You recognize that the world’s biggest problems are the world’s biggest business opportunities.
- You understand that Moonshots striving for a 10X improvement (or 1,000%) offer one-hundred-fold the benefit compared to 10% incremental improvement, but are rarely one-hundred-fold more difficult to achieve. A 10X improvement is 100 times more worth it, but it’s not 100 times harder.
- As a leader, you know that Moonshots focus and motivate your team, help you attract the best talent in the world, and allow you to solve interim problems while creating interim products and services along the way.
How much more could you achieve if you had a Moonshot Mindset?
What can you do in the next hour to make progress towards your 10X goal?
Join My Abundance360 Community
If you want my coaching as an exponential entrepreneur and to reinforce those mindsets that will inspire and guide you to create a hopeful, compelling and abundant future for yourself and humanity, then consider joining my year-round Abundance360 coaching program.
Every year, my team and I select a group of 360 entrepreneurs and CEOs to coach over the course of a year-long program. You can join at any time for a full year’s worth of personal coaching on Exponential Tech, Longevity, Moonshots, and Abundance thinking.
My mission is to help A360 members obtain mastery in four specific mindsets: an Abundance Mindset; an Exponential Mindset; a Moonshot Mindset; and a Longevity Mindset. Together we will actively select and reinforce your preferred Mindsets.
To learn more and apply to A360, visit abundance360.com.
Know someone who would benefit from getting Abundance Insider? Send them to this link to sign up.
P.S. I've just released a podcast with my dear friend Dan Sullivan called Exponential Wisdom. Our conversations focus on the exponential technologies creating abundance, the human-technology collaboration, and entrepreneurship. Head here to listen and subscribe.